Saturday, August 01, 2009

Early 90s Xiaguan FT Tibetan Flame Mushroom


Is there a season for drinking aged cooked puerh? Most of my experiences with shu aged (7-15yrs) during dead-winter season, is flat and boring.... really nothing to write home about.

Organizing some cigar boxes in the storage (which I use for aging shu puerh), I bumped into a lost mushroom. I did a post back in 2008 Feb., this puerh did not impress nor inspire at that time. But when I opened it up this morning, in a 80% hum./80F storage, it was like an invitation to a fine Chinese Banquet.

The continue down pour and hot muggy weather, it seems to have given a new life to this dried up, loveless mushroom. Fragrance of sweet cedar wood, dried wild morels, and a hint of tobacco caught my fancy. The shape of mushroom puerh always look exotic and intriguing, so inspired by it, I have to find some vessel which is similar in texture and tones.


A neglected set of Japanese tea cups seem to beg for a summer breeze.

Brewing:
8g/150ml pot. Crab eyes boil. 3 Flash Rinses. Set 1 min rest after 3rd rinse.
10s to 3rd brew / 30s on 4th / 10s on 5th / 1 min onward.

Color:
Clear shine, ruby red, burnt chestnut and oily.

Smell:
Red Jujube and dried dates, sweet woody, after rain forest.

Taste:
Dry sweet mushroom, dates, chinese herbal medicine, cedar wood, pale rose.

Base:
Sweet, clean, coating top of throat, oily refreshing (like Olio Nuovo), deep and tingling.

Effect:
Calming, numbing to back of mouth and throat, gentle cha qi, sweet spots at top of throat, refreshing and moisturizing the tongue. Still a bit flat after the 5th. to my taste.


Besides drinking it hot in my chawan, I also lined the 'new' small cups out for a cool tasting. From 1st brew to the 6th. Most of the time, when tasting aged puerh (shu & sheng), do try drinking it cool. It's a preferred way for older pu-headed mandarins.

So next time, if you have a disappointing aged shu in your storage, try picking a right season or after heavy rain to give it another chance.

2 comments:

Zero the Hero said...

Great post; I can't remember the last time I saw a Shu mushroom. I read somewhere that you're supposed to drink pu-erh as hot as possible, but I've always preferred it cooled down, like most teas. Nice to hear I'm not alone!

toki said...

I know Hero, its so nice to drink them cool. That's why a puerh cup has large opening, shallower and wider shape, just to cool the brew down. T

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.